City Building Summit 2023: Build Up Ottawa
Now is the time to Build Up Ottawa.
Join the Ottawa Board of Trade and Ottawa Business Journal for an inclusive conversation about the future of Canada's Capital Region. Together, we can create a diverse and vibrant community with a thriving economy and quality of life for all. Connect with city builders, learn about what is on the horizon and share your ideas about the future of our city. Everyone welcome.
This event is for business and community leaders, economic partners, and young leaders. Everyone is welcome and will enjoy a day filled with:
- meaningful connections and networking
- inspiring ideas and information from experts
- dynamic panel discussion on key issues and projects
- a nutritious breakfast and lunch
- fresh and exciting perspective on your role in city building
Be prepared for engaging conversations about our future.
9:00 AM: Welcome and Opening Remarks with Mayor Mark Sutcliffe
9:20 AM: Session One - Revitalizing Downtown
- Stéphan Déry, President & CEO, Canada Lands Company
- Mary Rowe, President & CEO, Canadian Urban Institute
- Stephen Willis, Senior Principal, Discipline Leader, Urban Planning (Canada), Stantec
10:30 AM: Session Two - Driving Growth
- Sheilagh Doherty, High Economic Impact Projects, City of Ottawa
- Cindy VanBuskirk, High Economic Impact Projects, City of Ottawa
- Catherine Callary, Vice-President, Destination Development, Ottawa Tourism
- Sonya Shorey, Vice President, Strategy, Marketing and Communications, Invest Ottawa
- Dr. Vera Etches, Medical Officer of Health, Ottawa Public Health
- Kaite Burkholder Harris, Executive Director, Alliance to End Homelessness
- Jason Burggraaf, Executive Director, Greater Ottawa Home Builder's Association
- Jennifer Armstrong, Program Manager, Transportation Policy and Networks
1:00 PM: Afternoon Opening
1:15 PM: Keynote - The Future of Cities, Dr. Mike Moffatt, Senior Director of Policy and Innovation at the University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute
2:00 PM: Session Four - Investing in Innovative Infrastructure
- Jeff Westeinde, President, Zibi Canada
- Mark Goudie, President & CEO, Ottawa Sports and Entertainment Group
- Katie Paris, Director, Building LeBreton, National Capital Commission
- Court Curry, Manager, Right of Way, Heritage and Urban Design, City of Ottawa
Keynote: Dr. Mike Moffatt, Senior Director of Policy and Innovation at the University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute
Dr. Mike Moffatt is the Senior Director of Policy and Innovation at the University of Ottawa's Smart Prosperity Institute and an Assistant Professor in the Business, Economics and Public Policy group at Ivey Business School, Western University. Mike's research at SPI focuses on the intersection of regional economic development, building child-friendly, climate-friendly housing and communities, and clean innovation. In 2017, Mike was the Chief Innovation Fellow for the Government of Canada, advising Deputy Ministers on innovation policy and emerging trends. He has also previously held the titles of Director (Interim) of the Lawrence National Centre for Policy and Management, Directory of Policy at Canada 2020, and Chief Economist for the Mowat Centre at the University of Toronto. Mike has worked with politicians and policymakers of all political stripes in several countries to craft more effective public policy.
Don't miss the community building event of the year!
Our agenda setting events are made possible by local business sponsors. In return, we offer high value engagement and recognition. If you would like to be a sponsor for this important event, please contact Don Mersereau at Don@OttawaBusinessEvents.ca. Limited opportunities remain.